Thursday, September 28, 2017

Creating Simple Machines with Candy



When I find that hands-on application activity that can allow students to demonstrate everything we've just learned, I feel like I've hit the jackpot! This activity is EXACTLY that! At the end of our simple machines unit, my students were given the task of creating as many simple machines as they can using a few simple materials.

MATERIALS:


  • 2 Oreos
  • 1 Life Saver Mint
  • A Few Pretzel Sticks
  • 2 Graham Crackers
  • 1 Twizzlers
  • 2-4 Fruit Slice Candies

The students had a handout where they sketched their design and wrote what type of simple machine they created so that they stayed on track during the activity and I could assess their work (since...as you know...I couldn't see all in the moment)!

The students were SO engaged and they never stopped creating. I love seeing my students work so hard and love what they're working on so much that they just keep thinking of new ways to design things.  I also challenged them to create compound machines at the end.

Of course, after the lesson, they were able to eat the treats and that made the activity infinitely better on their part. 

Take a look at some of the simple machines they created below and grab the handout freebie at the end of this blog post!







(excuse the awkward logo placement that's covering a student's name)



0 comments:

Post a Comment